59 Church Lane Odell
Elevation showing proposed extension 1989 [BorB/TP/89/198]
There are a number of attractive old properties in Church Lane, some distance from the rest of the village. 59 Church Lane, The Thatched Cottage, was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1979 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the late 17th or early 18th century, perhaps being built around the time of numbers 50 and 52 nearby, which have a date stone showing 1705. Like most older properties in the area the cottage is built of coursed limestone rubble. It has a thatched roof. The cottage had two rooms with a central chimney stack and a single storey with bedrooms in the attics. Planning permission for extensions was granted to the owners in both 1979 and 1989.
In 1927 Odell was valued under the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 59 Church Lane, then addressed 11 Church Lane [DV1/C166/61] noted that the owner, along with most of the rest of the village, was Rowland Crewe Alston; the occupier was Mrs.Stratton, who paid £5 per annum, rent.
The cottage comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. Outside was a lean-to barn and a "good garden". The valuer commented: "Beautiful Pear Tree at end".
In 1934 the Odell Castle Estate was sold. At that time 11 Church Lane, as it was still called, was occupied by C.Stratton, still at £5 per annum rent. The plot was Lot 6 and described as containing 34 poles. The cottage was described as four roomed with a stone and tile barn and the remains of a further stone barn and stock yard; the garden contained a well.