Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Shefford > List of Shefford Vicars

List of Shefford Vicars

south window in nave detail of Christ January 2008
South window in nave detail of Christ January 2008

Shefford was originally a chapel of ease in the parish of Campton. It was created a separate ecclesiastical parish in 1903. The patron of the living was the Bishop, along with the Rectors of Clifton and Campton by turns. In 1955 the Vicar of Shefford also became Rector of Campton, living in Shefford, though the two churches remained separate, with their own parochial church councils, churchwardens and other officers. This changed in 1982 when Campton joined Meppershall and Stondon

Since 2004 Shefford has been part of a united benefice with Meppershall, again each church shares an incumbent but maintains separate parochial church councils, churchwardens and other officers. The incumbent now lives in Meppershall Rectory, there being no Vicarage in Shefford.

  • William Kendall Suart, formerly curate of Harpenden [Hertfordshire]: 27th March 1904;
  • Charles Edward Meadows: 11th July 1909;
  • Edward Dakin: 16th April 1913;
  • George Harold Strange: 8th December 1920;
  • Eric Whitworth: 17th December 1934;
  • Edward Christopher Laidlay: 1945;
  • David John Lawrence, he held Shefford in plurality with Campton: 2nd April 1955;
  • Harold Percy Hansen:1966;
  • George Thomas Botting: 1971;
  • Roy Frederick Day: 1976
  • Alan C. Taylor: 1983;
  • Denis R. Smith: 1991;
  • vacant: 2002
  • John A. Harper: 2004