Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Shefford > The Feathers Hostelry Shefford

The Feathers Hostelry Shefford

Feathers Hostelry: High Street, Shefford

This inn is only known from one reference in a bound volume containing early surveys of manors comprising the Honour of Ampthill [R6/1/1/18]. The inn is mentioned as being owned by the Manor of Campton and Shefford and is described thus: "Feathers hostelry in Shefford on the north side of the town street, with 4 rooms downstairs and 3 rooms upstairs with a stable and garden plot or yard on backside of 3 roods on which 3 cottages were erected; with one pole or rood of land in Midsummer Meadow on the north side of the highway from Shefford to Ampthill; in occupation of William Collins". The date is 1649 and the description puts the Feathers somewhere in the High Street, perhaps near the later Kings Arms.