Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Shefford > 39 and 43 High Street Shefford

39 and 43 High Street Shefford

39 and 43 High Street January 2012
39 and 43 High Street January 2012

39 and 43 High Street were once three cottages, 41 and 43 now being knocked into one and shortened by the widening of the junction of New Street with the High Street/Ampthill Road at which time the right hand side was shored up with modern bricks and modern brick buttresses. The properties were listed by the former Department of Environment in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated them to the 18th century.

The houses are timber-framed but encased in early 19th century red brick, Number 43 having been colourwashed. They have an unusual roof known as a Gambrel, similar to that at 8 Northbridge Street. The roof is clad in 20th century tiles. The properties comprise two storeys. Adjoining 35 and 37 High Street the department noted that they had been "Included for group value".

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Shefford, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the properties [DV1/C289/64-66] found that they were all owned by Frederick Brown. The individual property details were as follows:

  • 39: occupied by A. Rowley who had paid rent of three shillings per week from 1925. The valuer commented: "bad". Accommodation comprised a living room, a scullery, one bedroom and a second floor attic ("poor"). A barn stood outside.
  • 41: occupied by R. E. Rockle who had paid three shillings per week from 1926. His property, too, was dismissed as: "bad". Accommodation was identical to Number 39.
  • 43: vacant. This property contained a living room, a kitchen, one bedroom and an attic, no barn is mentioned.