Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Cople > Maryons or Malens Manor Cople

Maryons or Malens Manor Cople

Volume III of The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire, published in 1912, gives the histories of each of the six manors in the parish. The work states that the Maryon family, known to have been in Cople in the 15th century, must have given their name to this manor. In 1545 it was stated to have Lord Braye as overlord.

Thomas Maryon held a house called Horwodys in Cople in the middle of the 15th century. His widow en-feoffed William Bole and George Gostwick with the property on the understanding that they would re-enfeoff her to secure her claim. This they did nor do and a protracted action in the Court of Chancery was the result, beginning in 1463 and ending in 1470, with what result is not stated in the Victoria County History.

By 1545 the manor was in the possession of Godfrey Hatley, who died in that year when it was stated that it had formerly belonged to Matthew Stepynge. On Godfrey's death his son William was six years old. No further trace of the manor has been found but it is not beyond the realms of possibility that it was purchased by the Gostwick family of Willington who owned Woodend and Cople Manors.