Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Shefford > The Adam and Eve Inn Shefford

The Adam and Eve Inn Shefford

Shefford High Street about 1820
Shefford High Street about 1820

Adam and Eve Hostelry: High Street, Shefford

This inn is only known from one reference in a bound volume containing early surveys of manors comprising the Honour of Ampthill [R6/1/1/18]. The inn is mentioned as being owned by the Manor of Campton and Shefford and is described thus: "Adam & Eve hostelry (formerly the Wrasters [Wrestlers?]) in Shefford town street abutting on the chapel to the east and the Butchers Shambles to the south; with 3 rooms downstairs and 4 rooms upstairs, a kitchen, barn and stable on the backside, with an acre of meadow on the backside and 7 acres of meadow between Hardwick River and the common on the north side of the town; in occupation of Thomas Jordan". The date is 1649 and the description puts the Adam & Eve in the High Street somewhere near the later Osborn Arms.