Hope Cottage - 38 High Street Roxton
38 High Street in 1960 [Z53/97/17]
38 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to about 1700. It is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame, has a thatched roof, hipped at the east end and one storey. A 20th century addition stands at the west gable end, it is also colour washed and has a thatched roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of Bedfordshire, Roxton was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Hope Cottage [DV1/C198/103] found it owned by Mrs. Kendall and occupied by Rev. J. Slater [“NOT AT HOME”]. The valuer commented: “Occupier is a Minister at the Chapel and uses house for week-ends”. He paid £14 per annum in rent.
The property stood in just under a third of an acre and the, as the valuer could not get in he noted: “Looks like 4 rooms”. A barn, a shed and a stable, all weather-boarded and tiled stood outside.