Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Roxton > College Farm Roxton

College Farm Roxton

College Farm in 1960 [Z53/97/22]
College Farm in 1960 [Z53/97/22]

College Farm was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 16th and 17th centuries. The farmhouse is timber framed, with close-studding to the cross-wing and the adjoining part of the main block. It has colour washed plaster infill to the east and colour washed roughcast render to the south and an old clay tile roof. The house is built in a T-plan and has two storeys.

The name presumably comes from the fact that it was previously owned by a Cambridge or OxfordCollege. No college owned any of the manors in Roxton but TrinityCollege, Cambridge owned land nearby in the 19th century.

In 1867 College Farm, along with a farm at Beeston, was sold at auction as part of the Chancery action Scruby v. Clark. The particulars [WG2545] describe:


Consisting of a Farmhouse, Domestic Yard, garden and Orchard, situate in a good locality, with Homestall, comprising Farm yard, large Buildings, Stable, Shelter Hovel, small Barn, and Hen House, with about 5 acres, 1 rood, 0 poles of rich old Pasture Lane, the residence of the late Messrs JOHN and WILLIAM CHURCH, and now in the hands of the executors”. The farm is described as “at the Junction of the Bedford and St. Neot’s Road with the Road into the Village of Roxton”.

In 1886 the farm was again auctioned, this time by the executors of John Jefferies. The particulars [WG2582] read: “The House, which is built of stud-and0brick and tiled, contains Hall, Parlour, Sitting-room, Kitchen with copper, capital Dairy, Pantry, front and back staircase, large landing and 4 Bedrooms, pleasant front Garden, productive Orchard, fowl house, and w. c.”.

“THE OUTBUILDINGS which are timber and thatched, comprise gig shed, stabling for 2 horses, 5 bayed open shed, large barn, stock yard &c. “.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Roxton, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting College farm [DV1/C198/26] found it owned and occupied by Arthur A. and F. Kendall.

The house stood in just under half an acre and the brick, stucco and tiled building comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen and a scullery with four bedrooms above. A later hand has added a store room and a summer room. The valuer commented: “Very pretty, no Bath”. Outside stood a washhouse, a weather-boarded and slated workshop and cycle house and a weather-boarded and tiled wood house. The valuer commented: “”Was farm house. Very nice property, very lettable in Summer but no bath or w. c., rooms low”.

In 1942 a new drainage system was installed [RDBP2/989]. In 1945 a new implement shed was added [RDBP3/441] and in 1975 another new agricultural building was added to the farm [AO/E4/4/120]. In 1942 the farm was auctioned by the executors of Miss F. S. and Arthur A. Kendall. The particulars [CRT130Rox3] described:

LOT 1 – ROXTON (With Vacant Possession)

All that Brick and Stone Built, pebbledash and Tiled Comfortable Old World



Pleasantly situated in its own Pretty Grounds, nicely back from the main Bedford – Saint Neot’s Road.

Accommodation. – Entrance Hall, DINING ROOM with wood block flooring, Glazed Tile Grate, Hearth and Curb, Double Corner Cupboards and two other Cupboards; DRAWING ROOM with Tiled Fire Grate; Breakfast Room with ditto and French Window opening on to the Lawn; 4 GOOD SIZE BEDROOMS and landing with Oak Flooring; Front and Back Stairs; KITCHEN, with capital Cooking Range and Dresser; Scullery, with Pump and Stone Sink, Large Cupboard with Sliding Doors and Game Safe; Coal Place adjoining.

MAIN ELECTRIC LIGHT; OWN WATER, but Main Water is available.

The OUT-OFFICES consist of Brick, Timber and Slated Stable, with Brick Floor, Garage, Brick, Timber and Pantiled Barn and Convenience; LAWNS, GARDEN and SHRUBBERIES.

The whole as until recently occupied by the late Mr. A. A. Kendall.

N. B. – most of the Rooms have exposed Oak Beams.

College Farm March 2010
College Farm March 2010