Vine Cottage - 17 High Street Pulloxhill
17 High Street March 2011
Vine Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in May 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the oldest part of the property to the mid 18th century: it was extended in the 19th century. This 19th century addition is parallel to the original block under a separate roof, forming what it known as a double pile plan. The house comprises two storeys. It is built of red brick and has clay tiled roofs.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Vine Cottage [DV1/C234/15] noted that it was owned by F. Bradshaw and occupied by W. George who paid rent of £30/16/- per annum. This included 0.770 of an acre of adjoining grass and orchard.
The house comprised: a drawing room; a dining room, a kitchen, a dairy ("used lumber") and a scullery with four bedrooms above. The valuer commented: "Bad planning. Big passage".
Outside stood a brick and slate earth closet, along with a weather-boarded and tiled hay barn and a brick and tiled stable for two horses with a loft over. There was also a block containing an old trap house ("used hens") and a two bay open cart shed with a loft over all.
The valuer commented: "Hardly worth it – old". He also mused: "Should think was once shop, door blocked".
17 High Street showing double pile plan March 2011