22 High Street Pulloxhill
22 High Street in 1978 [Z50/92/6]
22 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1976 as Grade II, os special interest. The department dated the proeprty to about 1700. It is built of colourwashed roughcast render over a timber frame and has a thatched roof.
The property comprises one storey and attics. There are later additions to both gable ends. The left-hand extension is two-storeyed and of colourwashed brick and thatch. The extension to the right gable end is single-storeyed, rendered and had a corrugated iton roof, since replaced with tiles.
As the photograph at the top of the page shows by the mid 1970s corrugated iron sheets had been put over all the tcatch. This was not uncommon as it eked out the life of the roof which, of course, is expensive to replace.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specifies that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting 22 High Street got it confused with 20 High Street showing that we cannot always trust the accuracy of our sources!
The property was owned and occupied by L. Evans. It comprised a parlour, a kitchen, a scullery, two store rooms and a cellar; there were three bedrooms in the roof "one used as stores". outside stood two weather-boarded and corrugated iron chicken sheds, a brick and slate earth closet and a weather-boarded and thatched barn "used for chickens and lumber".
22 High Street March 2011