Fieldside Cottage Pulloxhill
Fieldside Cottage November 2011
Fieldside Cottage is set back some way from Orchard Road; it appears to be a 19th century building. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value.
The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C234/39] found that it was a printer's office. The owner and occupier was Walter Stanley. Directories for Bedfordshire, which were not published annually but every few years. Kelly's Directory for 1898, 1903 and 1906 lists Walter Stanley simply as a printer, Kelly's Directory for 1914, 1920, 1924 and 1928 list him as running the post office. The directories for 1931, 1936 and 1940 list him as both post master and printer. The Post Office was at 1 and 3 Church Road.
The valuer noted that the brick and slate, detached property "used to be two Cottages. Could be easily turned into good cottage". He also noted: "Used as a Printing office merely for a hobby. Downstairs with Press and Office – upstairs for type setting etc." Outside stood an unheated glasshouse measuring 6 feet 6 inches by 14 feet.