Hilltop Cottage Pulloxhill
Hilltop Cottage hides from view November 2011
Hilltop Cottage hides away behind a hedge. What can bee seen from the road makes it clear that it is a historic building. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in May 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century
The cottage is of timber-framed construction with colourwashed roughcast render
and some applied timber framing. It has a thatched roof. It was built with three rooms downstairs and bed spaces in the attics. It stands gable end on to the road, as is common with old houses in rural locations. A modern colourwashed brick lean-to addition stands at the right hand gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/A17/29] found that it was owned by J. Godfrey of College Farm and occupied by W. Emmerton at a rent of £7/10/- per annum. It comprised two reception rooms, a kitchen and a pantry, with three bedrooms in the attics. A Washhouse and an earth closet stood outside. Water came from a well in yard.