Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Oakley > The Mallows Oakley

The Mallows Oakley

The Mallows highlighted in red on this map of 1883
The Mallows highlighted in red on this map of 1883

The Mallows formed part of the Oakley House Estate and was part of the stable block belonging to Oakley House. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in May 1952 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the late 18th or early 19th centuries, Oakley House itself was built in 1749 and extensively remodelled by Henry Holland about 1792 for the Duke of Bedford.

The stable range was constructed of coursed limestone rubble and The Mallows now has a concrete tiled half-hipped roof. The house comprises one storey and attics and was “included for group value”.

When the Oakley House Estate was put up for sale by auction in October 1918 the sale particulars [AD1147/18] described the stables as follows:

 The Spacious Stabling

comprises Stable with Three Stalls and Two Loose Boxes, Saddle Room and Coach House, two Stables with Three Stalls and Three Loose Boxes and Four Stalls and Loose Box, men's Rooms over, and detached Four Loose Boxes.

In then event Oakley House and its outbuildings were not sold at auction. Instead the Duke sold them privately to his cousin the 2nd Baron Ampthill.