35 to 41 Station Road March 2011
The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 35 to 41 Station Road [HER 9217] describes them as a terrace of Bedford estate cottages dated 1865, built of coursed limestone rubble with yellow brick dressings and a hipped clay tile roof. The properties have two storeys and casement windows. They make quite a contrast with the other Bedford Estate cottages in the High Street.
The Dukes of Bedford were Lords of the Manor of Oakley Reynes from 1737 to 1918, meaning that they owned practically the entire parish by the mid 19th century. The Duke of Bedford sold the bulk of the Oakley Estate by auction on 31st October 1918. 9 to 15 Station Road formed Lot 38 which was described as follows.
A Group of Four Cottages
close to OAKLEY STATION
stone built and tiled, containing Five Rooms with Barns to each, and Gardens back and front. Situated in Pavenham Road, being Part [Ordnance Survey Field Number] 34 on the Plan, and extending to about
0 acres 2 roods 18 poles
Held by Mr. Arthur Hurst, Mr. Joseph Eaton, Mrs. Hulatt and Mr. Thomas Panter on Quarterly Tenancies.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Oakley, like most of the county was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 35 to 41 Station Road [DV1/C115/1-4] found them owned by H. A. Emmett of Hill Farm.
Number 35, then numbered 4 The Village was occupied by A. Hurst who had paid rent of three shillings per week since 1918 for a living room and kitchen with three bedrooms above. An earth closet stood outside as did a “Bakehouse used by 8 cottages” and a “Barn attached to House”. He commented: “Good Row of 4”.
Number 37, 3 The Village, was occupied by W. C. Frossell who had paid rent of four shillings per week since 1918 for a living room and kitchen with three bedrooms above. An earth closet stood outside. Number 39 was in the occupation of Charles Woods who paid five shillings per week for the same accommodation as Number 37. Number 41, 1 The Village, was occupied by Mrs. B. E. Panter who paid rent of 18/3 per quarter for the same accommodation as next door.