Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > MiltonErnest > 13 Radwell Road Milton Ernest

13 Radwell Road Milton Ernest

13 Radwell Road February 2011
13 Radwell Road February 2011

13 Radwell Road is an unusual looking building. It was designed by William Butterfield, the man who designed Milton Ernest Hall and was built in 1859. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in June 1972 as Grade II, of special interest. It comprises one storey and attics and is built of red brick with a diaper decoration in blue brick on the upper floor. The roof is composed of clay tiles. The lean-to porch has a decorated door.

When the Milton Ernest Estate was sold in 1872 the house was described in the following terms [X213/30].

And in the Village is an equally Substantial BRICK AND TILED COTTAGE,
Containing Sitting Room, Kitchen, &c., and Two Bed Rooms, with FORECOURT and GARDEN, in the occupation of the Coachman.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 stated that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Milton Ernest, like most of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 13 Radwell Road [DV1/C1/52] found that it was still an estate house, owned by John Helps Starey of Milton Ernest Hall and occupied by J. Peck, whose rent was taken out of his wages.

The house comprised a parlour, a kitchen, two larders and a washhouse of timber and corrugated iron. Two bedrooms lay in the attics; Outside was an earth closet. The valuer commented: “Roof High” and “Water fetched from Newell’s Bakery [15 Radwell Road] 50 yards. Peck works for Starey rent in wages”. He also noted “Good garden corner property”.