The Hearts of Oak Public House Luton
The Hearts of Oak Public House about 1950 [WN/Green4/5/Lu/HO1]
The Hearts of Oak Public House: 2 Saint Ann's Road, Luton
This public house first appears in a directory in 1885. It was owned by Luton brewer John William Green, who floated his company as J. W. Green Limited in 1897. Luton Year Book 1906 notes that it wasawaiting a licence in November 1905.
In 1954 J. W. Green Limited merged with Midlands brewer Flowers and the new company took the Flowers name. The public house closed on the last day of August 1964 and was subsequrntly demolished.
The site of the Hearts of Oak June 2010
- WBGreen5/5/1: register of successive tenants to J.W.Green Limited licensed premises: 1887-1926;
- WB/Green1/1/1: record of articles of association and licensed houses owned by J.W.Green Limited: 1897-1936;
- CCE3021/14: reference in deed: 1920;
- WB/Green4/2/4: certificate of title to licensed properties of J.W.Green Limited: 1936-1952;
- WB/Green6/4/1: trade analysis ledger of J.W.Green Limited licensed premises: 1936-1947;
- WB/Green4/2/5: list of licensed properties of J.W.Green Limited: c.1936;
- WB/Green4/2/10: schedule of deeds to J.W.Green Limited licensed premises: c.1949;
- WB/Green4/2/11: schedule of deeds to J.W.Green Limited licensed premises: c.1949;
- WB/Green4/5/Lu/HO1-2: photographs: 1950s;
- WB/Green4/2/16: letter from J.W.Green to solicitors Lawrance, Messer & Company asking which licensed properties had been in continuous occupation: 24 Jul 1952;
- WB/Green4/2/17: Trust Deed of J.W.Green Limited with list of licensed premises: 1952-1972;
- WB/Green4/2/19: Various loose schedules of deeds and documents: c.1954;
Licensees: Note that this is not a complete list; italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known
1885: William Swain;
1890: William Price;
1891: Henry Pike;
1894: William Dennett;
1924: Herbert Hillyard;
1936: George William Clarke;
1949: Cyril James Walters;
1959: William George Preece;
1963: Robert William Allen;
1964: Kenneth Herbert Moores.
Public house closed 31st August 1964.