The Grapes Inn Luton
The Grapes Inn: 6 George Street
This beerhouse is recorded in a few sources for a period from 1869 to 1876. Stuart Smith in his 1995 book Pubs & Pints a history of licensed premises in Luton records that the tenant W. Smith advertised in the Luton Times that he had taken over the premises. This is probably the William Smith listed at Market Hill as a grocer in The Post Office Directory for Bedfordshire of 1869.
The Grapes is mentioned again in Mercer & Crocker's Directory for Bedfordshire of 1871 and in an agreement between Luton brewer Thomas Sworder and his uncle of the same name for the latter to act as a business partner for his nephew in 1873. The Grapes is one of the inns listed as being held by Sworder on lease. Finally, the countywide licensing register of 1876 records that the Grapes was tenanted by James Dudley and owned by Charles White of Luton. A directory of 1877 shows James Dudley as a beer retailer in John Street. 6 George Street was later the premises of a boot and shoe manufacturer
- Z210/81: agreement between Thomas Sworder of Luton and Thomas Sworder of Hertford: 1873.
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:
1869: William Smith;
1871: Thomas Francis;
1876: James Dudley.