Threeways Farm Kempston Rural
Threeways Farmhouse March 2012
Threeways Farmhouse is, today , a sad sight. It was listed by English Heritage in February 1992 as Grade II, of special interest. The derelict building dates from the late 18th century and is timber-framed on a stone rubble plinth with a rubble gable at the south end. The listing notes: “Where the plaster has fallen the light scantling timber frame is exposed externally”. The roof is corrugated iron and was, probably, originally thatched. The house comprises a single storey with attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Threeways Farm [DV1/C2/55] found it was owned by A. Northwood and occupied by A. G. Bird whose rent was five shillings per week, set in 1926. The valuer commented: “Scandalous rent”.
The building had a corrugated iron roof, then as now. This presumably replaced a decayed thatched roof. Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and a pantry with two bedrooms above. An earth closet and a barn stood outside. Water came from a well. The valuer commented: “Very poor cottage indeed”. The condition of the property has, if anything, deteriorated since then.