199 and 200 Wilstead Road Elstow
199 and 200 Wilstead Road February 2012
199 and 200 Wilstead Road were listed by English Heritage in February 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The pair of estate cottages is dated as 18th century. They are timber -framed with pebbledash render beneath a thatched roof. Each cottage comprises two storeys. There is an additional bay attached to the north gable end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Elstow, like much of the county was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottages found that they, like most of the parish, were owned by Lord of the Manor Samuel Howard Whitbread [DV1/C33/56-57].
Number 199 was occupied by C. Robinson whose rent was £3 per half year for two living rooms, two bedrooms and a scullery. The valuer noted: “sloping roof, scullery built on, barn, water from standpipe”. Number 200 was in the occupation of C. Chillery who was “not at home”. His accommodation comprised two living rooms, a kitchen and three bedrooms. The valuer commented: “sloping roof, barn, low ceilings”.