Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Elstow > 170 and 171 High Street Elstow

170 and 171 High Street Elstow

170 and 171 High Street February 2012
170 and 171 High Street February 2012

170 and 171 High Street was listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in July 1964 as Grade II, of special interest. The ministry noted that the two properties may originally have been one.

The building dates from the 17th century and is timber-framed with red brick infill on the north wall and pebbledash render on the other three. It has a clay tiled roof. The building is in a T-shape and comprises two storeys. The ministry noted: “slight change in roof level possibly indicating that the south bay was a later addition”. A single storey weather-boarded and tiled outhouse adjoins the south gable end.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Elstow, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C33/6-7] found that they were, like most of the properties in Elstow, owned by Lord of the Manor Samuel Howard Whitbread.

Number 170 was leased to B. Searle who paid rent of 4/- per week for a parlour, a kitchen, three bedrooms, a pantry and a barn. The cottage had electric light. The valuer commented: “Bad situation but very nice inside. Occupier not labourer”.

Number 171 was in the occupation of a Mrs. Cooke who was “not at home ill”. She had a parlour, a living room, a kitchen, three bedrooms (“small”) and a barn. The valuer noted that her cottage was “interlocked with last”

In 1953 the owner of Number 170 applied for planning permission for a W. C. and cesspool [Z1169/8/28/12].