Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Battlesden > 4 to 5 Battlesden

4 to 5 Battlesden

4 to 5 Battlesden January 2008
4 to 5 Battlesden January 2008

There are very few houses in Battlesden today. The same has been true for over a hundred years. 4 to 5 Battlesden, a semi-detached pair, sit on the side of the hill on the left-hand side of the road as one leaves the centre of the village (such as it is) and goes towards the church. The building overlooks the site of the former Sunday School, later the Parish Room, now an empty field.

The property was valued in 1927 under the Rating Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country were assessed to determine the rates to be paid on them. The valuer noted [DV1/A/10/6a-b] that 4 Battlesden was occupied by A.B.Moore, stood in 0.302 acres and paid 19/6 per annum rent to the owner, the Duke of Bedford. 5 Battlesden was occupied by Mrs.Turney, stood in 0.301 acres and paid 17/4 rent.

Both properties were cement faced and slate roofed. Number 4 comprised a parlour, kitchen, scullery and pantry, with 3 bedrooms above and a barn and earth closet outside. Number 5 had a living room, kitchen, scullery, three bedrooms above and, again a brick and slate barn and earth closet. A wash-house was common to both properties. Both were lit by lamps and got their ["very good"] water from a well.