Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Oakley > 27 to 33 Station Road Oakley

27 to 33 Station Road Oakley

27 to 33 Station Road March 2011
27 to 33 Station Road March 2011

27 to 33 Station Road were listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The department described the properties as a terrace of Bedford Estate cottages dated 1865. They are built of coursed limestone rubble with yellow brick dressings and a hipped clay tile roof.  They make quite a contrast with the other Bedford Estate cottages in the High Street.

The Dukes of Bedford were Lords of the Manor of Oakley Reynes from 1737 to 1918, meaning that they owned practically the entire parish by the mid 19th century. The Duke of Bedford sold the bulk of the Oakley Estate by auction on 31st October 1918. 9 to 15 Station Road formed Lot 39 which was described as follows.

A Block of Four Cottages
stone, brick and slated, each containing Five Rooms and having Barns, Outbuildings and Gardens. Situated in Pavenham Road, adjoining Lot 38 [35-41 Station Road], being part [Ordnance Survey Field Number] 34 on the Plan and extending to about

0 acres 2 roods 19 poles
(.616 Acre)

Held by Mr. John Panter, Mr. Jabez Payne, Mrs. Mary Welch and Mr. Frank Payne on quarterly tenancies.

NOTE – The Purchaser shall forthwith erect a suitable pale fence against Lot 38.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Oakley, like most of the county was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 27 to 33 Station Road [DV1/C107/145-148] found them in different ownership. All the properties comprised a living room and kitchen with three bedrooms above and a barn and earth closet outside. The valuer commented “Fetch Water across Road” and “Good Row of Cottages”. The individual properties were as follows:

  • Number 27, 8 The Village, owned by G. Panter and in the occupation of Mrs. Panter who paid no rent;
  • Number 29, 7 The Village, owned and occupied by Joseph Payne;
  • Number 31, 6 The Village, owned by Miss M. H. Headland and in the occupation of J. H. Headland who paid no rent, the valuer commented: “Barn now used for Scullery”;
  • Number 33, 5 The Village, owned and occupied by Mrs. Kate M. Payne, the valuer commenting: “Kitchen is used as small shop” and “Neglect”.