Justins Farm Kempston Rural
Justin's Farmhouse March 2012
Justin’s Farmhouse was listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The house dates from the 17th century and is timber-framed with red brick nogging, or infill, rendered over with pebbledash. The property is built in a T-shape and comprises two storeys beneath an old clay tiled roof. There is a single storey lean-to extension at the left-hand side and a 19th century red brick and pantiled outbuilding on the right.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting today’s Justin’s Farm [DV1/C2/43-44] found that it comprised two dwellings, north and south, both owned by S. D. Handley.
The northern half was vacant but comprised a living room and kitchen with one bedroom above. An earth closet and barn stood outside. The valuer commented: “Very poor cottage in shocking repair”. The southern half was in the occupation of F. Gammons who paid three shillings per week in rent. His accommodation was a living room, kitchen and scullery with three bedrooms above. Again an earth closet and barn stood outside. Water came from a well for both dwellings and the valuer commented: “Very Poor Cottages”.
In 1988 alterations were made to outbuildings to convert them into bedrooms, a store, a garage and stables [BorBTP/88/1278].