Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Odell > Odell Lodge

Odell Lodge

The Lodge, then called The Cottage, about 1920
The Lodge, then called The Cottage, about 1920 [Z50/86/21]

Like most of the parish Odell Lodge formed part of the Odell Castle Estate until its sale in 1934. This means that evidence of the property's history from deeds before that date does not exist as there had been no need for them. It was listed by the former Department of Environment which described it as early 19th century. It is built of yellow brick with a Welsh slate roof and has two storeys.

In 1927 Odell was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting Odell Lodge [DV1/C166/76] noted that it was occupied by F.W.Sharpe at a rent of £55 per annum which had been set in 1924. The house comprised two reception rooms, an office, a kitchen and a store room on the ground floor with five bedrooms above. Outside stood a brick and slate washhouse, a tool shed, a fowl house, a three stall stable and a coachhouse all with lofts over; there was also a wood and corrugated iron lean-to store. The valuer remarked: "No indoor sanitation, small garden, buildings bad, house in bad repair, position quite good, pleasant".

Odell Lodge was not included in the sale of the Odell Castle Estate in 1934.

Odell Lodge May 2008
Odell Lodge May 2008