Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Odell > 215 High Street Odell

215 High Street Odell

Like most of the parish 215 High Street, in Little Odell, formed part of the Odell Castle Estate until its sale in 1934. This means that evidence of the property's history from deeds before that date does not exist as there had been no need for them. It was listed by the former Department of Environment which described it as 18th century. It is built, like most of the older properties in the area, of coursed limestone rubble, although there are some red brick dressings at rear. The property is thatched. The Department remarked: "Listed for group value"

In 1927 Odell was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 215 High Street [DV1/C166/15] noted that is was occupied by G.Moore at a rent of £10 per annum and was then known as 54 Little Odell. The cottage comprised a living room and a kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. Outside stood a "nice"; barn. The valuer remarked: "nice outlook" "slope up" "good garden" "fair cottage" "better than usual". The last comment referred to the generally poor standard of housing in Odell at the time.

The Odell Castle Estate was put up for sale in 1934 and the sale catalogue [AD1147/19] described 54 Little Odell as being in 19 poles of land and let to W.G.Tye at £20 per annum. The property was noted as containing two bedrooms, two living rooms, a pantry and a timber and iron barn in garden.

Proposed rear elevation following alterations in 1987
Proposed rear elevation following alterations in 1988 [BorB/TP/87/2928]