Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Odell > 207 High Street Odell

207 High Street Odell

207 High Street May 2008
207 High Street May 2008

Like most of Odell 207 High Street, in Little Odell, formed part of the Odell Castle Estate until its sale in 1934. This means that evidence of the property's history from deeds before that date does not exist as there had been no need for them. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in 1964 which noted that it has a date stone of 1606 on the gable end facing the road. Like most older properties in the area it is constructed of coursed limestone rubble. It has a two room plan and consists of one storey with bedrooms in the attics; it has a thatched roof. The cottage has been extended in modern times

In 1927 Odell was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 207 High Street [DV1/C166/13-14] noted that it was then part of a row of two cottages, known as 52 and 53 Little Odell. They were summarised as follows:

  • 53 Little Odell: one living room; one kitchen; two bedrooms; one barn; "This cottage is included in Sanders' Farm";
  • 52 Little Odell; occupier A.Darlow; one bedroom; one barn; "very poor"; "very old"; "roof low"

The Odell Castle Estate was put up for sale in 1934 and the sale catalogue [AD1147/19] described the cottages as part of Southlands Farm, describing one as a four roomed cottage and the other as a condemned two roomed cottage.

It seems clear from these two descriptions that 207 High Street was formerly known as 53 Little Odell. Clearly 52 Little Odell, which adjoined 207 High Street to the east, was demolished at some point after 1934.