Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Odell > 121 to 125 High Street Odell

121 to 125 High Street Odell

121-125 High Street May 2008
121 to 125 High Street May 2008

Like most of Odell 121 to 125 High Street formed part of the Odell Castle Estate until its sale in 1934. This means that evidence of the properties' history from deeds before that date does not exist as there had been no need for them. The properties were listed by the former Department of Environment in 1964, which described them as being former estate cottages of about 1850. Like most of the older properties in the area they are constructed of coursed limestone rubble, although some brick has also been used. They have an old clay tile roof and have two storeys

 Rear of 121 to 125 High Street in 1978
Rear of 121 to 125 High Street in 1978 [Z50/86/40]

In 1927 Odell was valued under the terms of the Rating and Valuation Act 1925; every piece of land and building in the country was assessed to determine the rates to be paid on it. The valuer visiting 121 to 125 High Street noted the following:

  • 48 The Village (121) occupied by A.Ashton; rent not specified; one living room; one pantry; two bedrooms; one barn; "goes with Village Farm";
  • 49 The Village (123) occupied by P.R.Lilley at 3/- per week rent; one living room; one pantry; two bedrooms; one barn; "goes with Village Farm";
  • 50 The Village (125) occupied by E.Bradshaw at £5/16/- per year rent; one living room; one pantry; two bedrooms; one barn; one stone and thatch pigsty; one brick and tile pigsty

 121 to 125 High Street in 1978
121 to 125 High Street in 1978 [Z50/86/41]

When the Odell Castle Estate sale was put up for sale in 1934 the sale catalogue read: "A ROW OF THREE COTTAGES stone built with tiled roofs together with GARDENS AND OUTBULDNGS comprising an area of about 1 rood 4 poles bring Nos 48, 49 and 50 Odell, all registered as decontrolled. Each Cottage contains 2 Bedrooms, Living Room and Pantry. The Outbuildings comprise: - Barns and Piggeries. No.48 is included in the letting of Sporting Rights up to February 1st, 1935. No.49 is let to Mr.P.Lilley on an implied quarterly tenancy at an annual rent of £7:16:0. No.50 is let to Mr.E.Bradshaw on an implied tenancy at an annual rent of £6".