41 and 43 Cause End Road Wootton
41 and 43 Cause End Road March 2012
41 and 43 Cause End Road are attractive cottages comprising one storey and attics beneath an old clay tiled roof. They may date from the 18th or early 19th centuries. They are rendered with suggests they may be timber-framed; the brick porches are modern.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county, Wootton was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C50/1-2] found that they were owned by the trustees of the Wootton Charity.
Number 43 was occupied by J. Wooding and Number 41 by J. Parrotts, both paid a rent of £1/10/- per quarter, set in 1922. Their accommodation both comprised a living room and a front room with two bedrooms above and a barn and earth closet outside. Water came from Manor Farm. The valuer commented: “Fair places but good gardens. Bad state of repair”. Number 41 stood in nearly half an acre and Number 43 in just over a quarter of an acre.