Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Linslade > The Stags Head Public House Linslade

The Stags Head Public House Linslade

Stags Head Linslade c1906 Z50-74-28

 Stags Head, Linslade c.1906 [Z50/74/28]

Stags Head Public House: 5 Old Road and 2 Wing Road, Linslade

This establishment seems to have been built in the 1840s or 1850s, like most of the small settlement of Chelsea as it expanded following the arrival of the London and North Western Railway in 1838. It seems to have become first a beerhouse around 1866, then a public house by 1872. Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service has two sale particulars but otherwise relies on directories and census returns. It seems to have closed around the time of the First World War as it is listed in a directory of 1915 but not one of 1920. It later became a fruiterer's shop.

In 1866 this property was for sale by auction [BML10/44/10] when it was described as: "All that newly-erected and substantially brick built and slated freehold residence, in every way admirably adapted for a first-class Hotel, commanding all the situations and traffic on the Turnpike Roads, the Railway Station, and intermediate Villages to Leighton Buzzard, with a pleasing and important frontage thereto of 107 feet, situate facing the main Street at the Junction of the Leighton and Soulbury Roads, having ON THE BASEMENT, Capital Breakfast Parlour and large Wine and Beer Cellar, with supply of Soft Water from tank in Yard. ON THE GROUND FLOOR, Roomy Entrance Hall, large and lofty Dining and Sitting Rooms, 16 feet by 14 feet and 10 feet High, Kitchen or Back Parlour. ON THER FIRST FLOOR are Three excellent Bed Rooms, Two of which are of the same dimensions as the Dining and Sitting Rooms. In the rear is a well-enclosed paved YARD, with brick built and slated Stabling, comprising Six good Loose Boxes for Hunters, and Hackney Stall Over which is commodious LOFT accommodation and GROOMS ROOM, a long open Shed, a Copper for Heating Water, also a Tank, capable of containing about 300 Gallons of Soft Water, and a Pump with a plentiful supply of good Water, complete with every other requisite to be found in a Property of this description, now in occupation of Mr.Ebenezer Hall".

As Ebenezer Hall is listed as a beer retailer in a directory of 1869 and in the 1871 census it would appear that he turned the place into a beerhouse. It is not clear whether he bought the property in 1866 or simply remained as tenant. Clearly the building was not licensed at the time of the sale in 1866.


Site of Stags Head on corner of Wing Road and Old Road October 2008

The property was sold again in 1872 when it was described in the sale particulars [BML10/44/14] as a public house. The description was: "All that newly-erected and substantially built FREEHOLD PUBLIC HOUSE known as the Stag's Head admirably situate with an important double frontage to the main street at the junction of the Linslade, Soulbury and Wing Roads, now in the occupation of Mr.E.Ball; containing ON THE BASEMENT FLOOR, Kitchen, and large Wine and Beer Cellar; ON THE GROUND FLOOR, Large Entrance Hall, spacious and lofty Dining Room, large Bar, tap Room and Back Kitchen; ON THE FIRST FLOOR are three large and lofty Bedrooms, and large landing; in the rear is an enclosed Paved Yard, a Brick-built and Slated Stabling for Six Horses, with large Loft over, a conveniently arranged Brewhouse, with large Copper, &c., complete, a Pump with a plentiful supply of good water, a Tank capable of holding about 300 gallons of soft water, with pipes laid on to supply house".

A note of the sale states that it was bought by a Mr.Bates for £800. The estate agents' bundle including the sale particulars also includes an inventory of the property which reads as follows:


Breakfast Parlour

A 42 inch range with oven and boiler, Bronze gas pendant, Deal dresser 8 feet 4 inches by 2 feet 2 inches, Duel shelf over Ditto, Deal painted shelf in window, Stone sink with lead piping, Two deal cupboards, right and left of fire place, Three blind rollers and brackets, table under windows.


Mahogany hat rail and five hat pegs,


A 36 inch register stove. A brass three light telescope, Gas burners, Three wire gauze blinds, , Three roller blinds and brackets, Mahogany peg rail and nine pegs, mahogany cornice to window iron bars to window.

Sitting Room

A thirty six inch register stove, Brass gas bracket. One gauze wire blinds [sic], One rollers, blinds and brackets, Cupboard at side of fire.


A thirty one inch range with oven, Three deal saddle pegs, Deal rail and seven japanned hat pegs, Bronze gas pendant.


One gauze wire blind, Rolling sun blind and brackets

Left Hand Bedroom

A 29 inch register stove, Two gauze wire blinds, two rollers, blinds and brackets, Deal rail and five pegs.

Back Bedroom

Rolling sun blind and brackets


Six cast iron corner mangers, Two gas brackets, Three sets of iron bars to windows, A thirteen tread step ladder to Loft, The gas piping.

Groom's Room

Small grate


Gas lamp and pipe, iron bound rain water butt.

The building was demolished to allow the corner of Old Road and Wing Road to be widened in the latter part of the 20th century.


  • BMl10/44/10: sale particulars: 1866;
  • BML10/44/14: sale particulars: 1872  

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:

c.1866-1872: Ebenezer Ball, beer retailer;
1879-1903: James Howe, publican;
1907: Frederick W.Everitt;
1911: Frederick Warren;
1915: James John Jordan
Public house closed between 1915 and 1925 and converted into a fruit shop