Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Linslade > The New Euston Inn Linslade

The New Euston Inn Linslade

New Euston Inn on 1901 map
New Euston Inn on 1901 map

New Euston Inn: 38 Soulbury Road, Linslade [previously The Harvey Combe]

Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service is not rich with information on Linslade licensed premises; owing to the fact that Linslade was in Buckinghamshire until 1965, no licensing records are held by the service. The first record of this establishment, other than census and directory entries, is a sale particular of 1863 [BML10/44/5] when it was described as a "All that Newly-erected and Substantially-built Brick and Slated MESSUAGE, known as "THE NEW EUSTON INN", situate adjoining the Railway Bridge, on the High Road leading from Leighton Buzzard to Soulbury, containing, on the basement, 2 excellent Cellars, on the ground floor, Bar Parlour, Tap Room, Smoke Room, good Kitchen, Scullery, with large CLUB ROOM, Water Closet, and 7 Bed Rooms over the same. Also a convenient Yard in the rear thereof, with excellent Pump of Water, and small piece of Ground at the side thereof. together with a Range of Brick and Slated BUILDINGS on the opposite side of the way, comprising well arranged Brewhouse, with every convenience for carrying on the trade of a Brewer, with Stables, large Builders' Workshops, and Lofts over the same.

The Auctioneers would direct especial attention to this valuable Property, all recently erected, regardless of expense. It is most eligibly situated for business purposes, commanding pleasant and extensive views, and is admirably adapted for carrying on the trade of an Innkeeper, or Brewer, or for the purposes of a Private residence". A note on the particular reveals that the place was sold for £750.

The New Euston Inn was again sold by auction in 1905 [BML10/44/40]; it had belonged, with a good number of other premises, to Samuel Tavener, who had died. It was then described as: "The Fully-Licensed PUBLIC HOUSE known as "THE NEW EUSTON INN", Well situate close to the Goods and Cattle Depot of the L.N.W. Railway and numbered 38 Soulbury Road, Linslade. The House is Brick-built with stucco front and slated, and affords the following accommodation:

  • On the Second Floor: - Five Bedrooms.
  • On the First Floor: - Box Room. Sitting Room (with marble mantelpiece). Bedroom adjoining (similarly fitted) and communicating with Sitting Room with folding doors, thereby making a large Concert or Club Room. One other Bedroom. W.C.
  • On the Ground Floor: - Kitchen. Taproom. Bar. Bar Parlour.
  • In the Basement: - Commodious Ale, Wine and Beer Cellars.

At the rear is a small paved Yard with Wash-house (fitted with Copper, Sink and Force Pump), Loft over same, detached Earth Closet and Fowl House, and a timber-built Hen House. The total frontage of this lot is 34 feet 6 inches. Council water is laid on. On the opposite side of the road is the STABLING, Brick-built and slated and affording accommodation for 6 Horses, together with two Harness Rooms and Coach-house, having  spacious Forage Lofts over the whole. There is an additional Iron-roofed Building forming brake house, and a Pump Yard with Pump. The total frontage is 76 feet.

The whole property is let to Messrs Roberts and Wilson on a yearly tenancy, terminating at Michaelmas 1905, on the terms of an expired lease. The position of this Property with regard to the Railway and the Building development beyond, points to a large increase of trade in the near future. The Beer Engine and connections, Counter and Shelving in bar, Lamp, and Name Boards outside are the property of the Tenant".

58-60 New Road June 2008
58 and 60 New Road June 2008

This description is interesting as it might furnish an idea as to the appearance of this now vanished inn. It had three storeys and was stuccoed, a similar description to a pair of villas also for sale at the same auction - 58 and 60 New Road. It is possible that they were built by the same firm for the deceased Mr.Tavener, without further documentation it is impossible to say. The lot was sold by private treaty, i.e. outside the auction, to G.Pullen for £1,000. The stabling across the road lay directly adjacent to the railway bridge. The New Euston Inn was demolished in 1965. The site of the inn is now occupied by part of Durrell Court.

Durrell Court Soulbury Road October 2008
Durrell Court Soulbury Road October 2008


  • BML10/44/5: auction sale particulars: 1863;
  • BML10/44/40: auction sale particulars: 1905;
  • BML10/44/111: correspondence etc. regarding auction sale: 1905-1907;
  • UDLLP2/137: alterations: 1934

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:

1841-1861: William Mead, builder [Harvey Combe 1841-1847, New Euston Inn 1861];
1864: William Lamb;
1871-1879: John Morley, beer retailer and whitesmith;
1881-1883: Joseph Bicknow, horsebreaker and publican;
1891-1911: Charles J.Packwood, publican and horsebreeder;
1915: Hugh Francis Sutton;
1920-1925: Albert Woolhead;
1928-1939: Arthur Langford
Inn closed about 1960