The Hare Public House Southcott
The Hare Southcott October 2008
Hare Public House: Southcott Village
The first document at Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service, other than censuses and directories, in which the Hare public house is mentioned is an auction sale particular of 1876 [BML10/44/17]. The establishment is described as: "…old-fashioned and much-frequented FREEHOLD PUBLIC-HOUSE, situate in the Hamlet of Southcott, and known by the sign of the "HARE", now in occupation of the Representative of the late Mr.Robert Eggleton, under a lease which expires on the 25th of March next, containing tap-room, parlour, and pantry, on the ground floor, with bedrooms over; and a brew-house, wood-barn, &c., adjoining. At the side is GARDEN, well stocked with fruit trees; and in the rear is A CLOSE OF RICH ACCOMMODATION PASTURE LAND; the whole containing about 6 acres 2 roods, together with the BRICK-BUILT AND THATCHED COTTAGE, AND GARDEN, now in occupation of Thomas Yerrill".
The Hare was again sold by auction in 1947 [BML10/44/80] by the trustees of the late H.T. and C.Birdsey. The particulars read: "A Freehold and Fully Licensed Free House with Hunting or Livery Stables…The property has an attractive double-fronted elevation and is built of brick with tiled roof. It stands back from the road with a forecourt of about 15 feet and has access to the rear from both sides. The accommodation includes:
On the Ground Floor:
- Public Bar 17 feet 3 inches by 13 feet.
- Private Bar 12 feet by 11 feet 6 inches.
- Lounge 19 feet by 13 feet.
- Living Room 13 feet by 10 feet, with Triplex grate.
- Scullery and Coal Store.
On the First Floor:
- Four Bedrooms, Bathroom with bath, basin and W.C.
Excellent Cellar, Gas, Main Water and Main Drainage, Electricity is available and telephone is connected.
At the Rear: There is a range of brick and tiled Outbuildings comprising: Coach House or Garage, Stabling for two with loft over, Urinal and very pleasant GARDEN. This portion has a frontage of about 63 feet and a depth of 193 feet or thereabouts. Adjoining the Inn is a Valuable range of Brick and Tiled STABLING WITH YARD comprising 4-stall Stable, Harness Room, Loose Box and W.C. There is a separate entrance from Southcourt and this portion has a frontage of about 29 feet 6 inches and a depth of 110 feet or thereabouts.
The Hare Inn is let to Mr. G. J. Spiers on a lease for 7 years expiring at Christmas next at a rent of £65 per annum…". By the 1960s the public house was owned by Watney Manns which merged with Grand Metropolitan in 1972, the new company taking the latter name.
The Hare about 1900 [Z1432/2/12/21/12]
- BML10/44/17: sale particulars: 1876;
- BML10/44/107: inventories and valuations: 1893-1903;
- BML10/44/80: sale particulars: 1947;
- Z1105/1: liquor licence survey traders form: 1954;
- Z898/2: reminiscences on tape: 1957
List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:
1851: Ann Woodman, beerseller;
1861: Jane Eggleston, beerhouse keeper;
1869-c.1876: Robert Eggelton, publican;
1881-1883: Thomas Tompkins, innkeeper and cattle dealer;
1891-1893: Henry Finch, innkeeper;
1899-1903: Kate Scannell, publican;
1903: William Minnett;
1907: Kate Minnett;
1911-1925: Arthur Dawson;
1928: Edgar Samuel Hurley;
1931: Henry Soane;
1935-1939: John Keeling;
1967: Arthur James Jemmett [died 15 May 1981];
1981: Robert Ian McKee;
1988: Raymond Clifford Papworth;
1988: Leonard William Moss;
1988: David Stuart Dear;
1991: Angela Gay.