Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Linslade > The Goat Public House Linslade

The Goat Public House Linslade

3-5 Old Road formerly the Goat October 2008
3-5 Old Road formerly the Goat October 2008

Goat Public House: 3-5 Old Road, Linslade

Bedfordshire & Luton Archives & Records Service is not rich with information on Linslade licensed premises; owing to the fact that Linslade was in Buckinghamshire until 1965, no licensing records before this date are held by the service. In particular, the service has very little information about the Goat but it seems likely that this handsome building was erected around the middle of the 19th century as the small settlement of Chelsea grew following the arrival of the Grand Junction Canal in 1800 and the London and North Western Railway in 1838.

The Goat about 1900 [Z1432/2/13/21/10]
The Goat about 1900 [Z1432/2/13/21/10]

In 1883 the Goat beerhouse, a freehold property, formed part of the estate of Thomas Landells Locke and Edward Howard Markes Smith, who had been in partnership together as brewers since 1868 as Lock and Smith. The public house,  closed in 1970 when owned by Watney Mann. It was later an antiques shop, then a wine bar and is now [2008] an Indian restaurant.

 Kings Head on the former Goat October 2008Queens head on the former Goat October 2008
King's and Queen's heads on the former Goat, October 2008


  • Z1118/1/25/1: dissolution of partnership between Thomas Landells Locke and Edward Howard Markes Smith: 1883;
  • UDLLP2/14: alterations: 1923;
  • Z1105/1: Liquor Licence Traders Survey form: 1960  

List of Licensees: note that this is not a complete list; entries in italics refer to licensees where either beginning or end, or both, dates are not known:

1851: Thomas Warner, beer retailer;
1861-1864: George Bonham, master butcher and beerseller;
1869: A.Grace, beer retailer;
1871-1879: Charles Hewitt, beer retailer and dealer;
1881: William Chamberlain, publican;
1891-1899: Mark Abraham, beerhouse keeper;
1901-1903: Frederick Treadwell, beer retailer;
1915: George Whitmore, beer retailer;
1920: Eugene Peppiatt, beer retailer;
1928: William Morland, beer retailer;
1931-1935: Harry Thomas White, beer retailer;
1939: Harry White;
1967: Thomas Harold Horne;
1968: Christopher Ignatius Carey
Public house closed 27th November 1970