Elm Lodge Stoke Road Linslade
Elm Lodge October 2008
Elm Lodge was auctioned in 1918 by direction of the executor of its late owner, H.A.Hicks [BML10/44/45]. The house was described as: "The very excellent Freehold Residence, Situate in Stoke Road, Linslade…known as "Elm Lodge". The elevation is of a pleasing character, and it is built of grey bricks with stone dressings and slated roof. The structure is on the hollow wall system, thus ensuring complete dryness and warmth. The approach from Stoke Road is by a Carriage Sweep, and the following accommodation is provided: -
On the Ground Floor:
- Portico entrance to Tiled paved hall, also side entrance.
- Dining room, measuring about 16 feet by 15 feet in widest part, lighted by large bay window, and fitted with marble mantelpiece.
- Drawing room, measuring about 15 feet by 17 feet in widest part, similarly lighted and fitted with white marble mantelpiece.
- Morning room, measuring 11 feet by 12 feet with French windows opening on to Garden, and communicating with Dining Room by large folding doors.
- Kitchen, fitted with range and high-pressure boiler.
- Scullery, with Copper and Sink.
- Garden room
On the First Floor, reached by a well-lighted Staircase, of easy ascent, are:
- Bedroom (on Half-landing) measuring about 14 feet by 13 feet.
- Bedroom, measuring 17 feet by 13 feet 6 inches in widest part, lighted by large bay window.
- Dressing room
- Bedroom, measuring 17 feet by 12 feet 6 inches, lighted by large bay window.
- Bedroom, measuring about 12 feet by 12 feet 6 inches.
- Bathroom - Hot and Cold supplies.
- Two maids' rooms, approached by secondary Staircase.
In the Basement: - ample cellarage.
The stabling is built in harmony with the House, and consists of Coach-house, 2 Loose Boxes, fuel House &c. There is a detached Wood Barn, and a range of boarded Stabling.
The garden is laid out for flowers and vegetables and there are two Greenhouses.
The paddock is on the north side of the House, and the whole property is nicely secluded by trees and shrubs. The total area is about 1 acre 27 poles.
The locality is in the best residential part, and in close proximity are the residences known as "Harcourt", "Fairmead", "Bossington House", "Binfield", "The Vale" etc. Town Water is laid on and Main Drainage utilised. The property is in occupation of A.E.Blows, Esquire, on a 3 years' tenancy from Lady Day 1918 at the moderate rental of £70 per annum".
The property was sold for £1,750. Elm Lodge was again sold by auction in 1933 [BML10/44/57] - as may be expected the particulars were very similar: the following additions were made to the room descriptions:
- Dining Room: "…lighted by a large bay window. This room communicates with the Morning Room through a large pair of folding doors";
- Kitchen: ""fitted with Dresser and "Cookanheat" Range, supplying hot water to 2 bathrooms, and for domestic purposes";
- Scullery: "with Copper and Sink (Hot and Cold) LARDER, PANTRY, and Garden Room or Workshop with small sink"
At the time of writing  Elm Lodge is a nursing home for old people.
Kelly's Directories reveail the following occupiers:
1911-1915: Walter C.Prudames, veterinary surgeon;
1931: William Edwin Gray;
1939: Lancelot Newton