Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > GreatBarford > 5 to 9 Bedford Road Great Barford

5 to 9 Bedford Road Great Barford

5 to 9 Bedford Road March 2010
5 to 9 Bedford Road March 2010

This small terrace of attractive cottages stands next door to the former Beehive Public House. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Most of Bedfordshire was valued in 1927 and the valuer visiting 5 to 9 Bedford Road [DV1/C184/2-4] found they were owned by Harold Brown.

Each brick and tile house was identical. Number 5 was occupied by Mrs. L. Robinson, Number 7 by Frederick Thomas Cooper and Number 9 by William Geary. Each of them paid £5 per annum rent, having paid £4 per annum before then.

Each cottage comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. A coal and wood barn with a copper for heating water lay outside as did a privy. Each cottage shared a water pump and the valuer commented: "drain each to road". He also commented: "Very low, poor places, no gardens".