Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > CommunityArchives > Tyrells End Cottage - 8 Tyrrels End Eversholt

Tyrells End Cottage - 8 Tyrrels End Eversholt

 Tyrells End Cottage February 2016
Tyrells End Cottage February 2016

Tyrells End Cottage was listed by the former Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. The house dates from the 17th century, though re-worked in the late 18th and 19th centuries. It is a timber-framed structure “the earlier part substantial”, and the front has been clad in red brick mottled with vitrified bricks and there is red brick infill at the rear. The roof is thatched and the cottage comprises one storey with attics. A blocked doorway tells the observer that it was once two tenements.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C133/29-30] found it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company then divided into two as 28 and 29 Tyrrels End. The northern half, Number 28, was inhabited by Thomas Oakley, whose rent was 1/3 per week and the southern half by Mark Phillimore whose rent was 1/1 per week. Both halves’ accommodation comprised a living room, a scullery and two bedrooms with a barn and earth closet outside. One washhouse was available for the pair of tenements. The valuer remarked: “recently re-thatched”.