Brook End House Eversholt
Brook End House February 2016
Brook End House was listed by English Heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century, with 19th century reworkings. It is partly timber-framed and partly recased in colour-washed brick with brick infill of the timber-framing. It has a 20th century tiled roof and comprises two storeys in a T-plan.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the building found that it was divided into two tenements, north-east and south-west [DV1/C131/144-145]. Both tenements were owned by R J Sharpe, rather than by the Duke of Bedford, as was much more common in Eversholt. The north-east portion was vacant and contained two living rooms and two bedrooms. An earth closet stood outside. Sharpe occupied the other portion himself, which contained a hall, two living rooms, a scullery and three bedrooms. The valuer commented: “Very poor, very low eaves”. The owner also had an adjoining orchard of just under half an acre. He also owned a nearby derelict cottage.