Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > CommunityArchives > The Old Bakery Eversholt

The Old Bakery Eversholt

The Old Bakery February 2016
The Old Bakery February 2016

This handsome, double-fronted property stands near the church. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C131/140] found it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company and leased by A Smith at £17 per annum.

The modern name of the property is demonstrated by the fact that it was a bakery. Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen, a scullery, a bakehouse (measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 10 feet 6 inches, the oven measuring 7 feet by 9 feet), two bedrooms, two flour stores and a corn store.

Outside stood a garage, a coal barn, a store barn with a loft over, an earth closet, a small cow shed, a loose box, a shed and cart house.