Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > CommunityArchives > End House Eversholt

End House Eversholt

End House February 2016
End House February 2016

End House was listed by the Ministry of Works in January 1961 as Grade II, of special interest. It is a semi-detached structure to School House. It was judged to have been built about 1800 “probably a reworking of an earlier building”. It is built in red brick with vitrified headers “possibly encasing another structure”. It has a clay tiled roof and comprises two storeys. A modern structure extends the house on the left-hand side.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C131/131] found it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company and leased by Mrs K Oakley for 1/9 per week. Accommodation comprised two living rooms, a pantry, three bedrooms and a boxroom. A washhouse stood outside. The valuer commented: “Very, very fine”.