32 Witts End Eversholt
32 Witts End February 2016
32 Witts End was listed by English Heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It was formerly a pair of cottages, as a casual inspection of the exterior makes apparent, and dates from the 17th and 18th centuries. It is timber-framed with red brick infill and has some colour-washed rendering. The roof is composed of clay tiles and the building comprises one storey with attics. Each cottage originally had two rooms downstairs.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C131/92-93] found it was owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company and was divided into two tenements. Half was occupied by Charles Shearwood at a rent of 1/2 per week and half by F Bunker at 16/3 per quarter. Both tenements contained two living rooms and two bedrooms with a barn outside.