Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > CommunityArchives > 9 Froxfield Eversholt

9 Froxfield Eversholt

9 Froxfield February 2016
9 Froxfield February 2016

Froxfield was an area of kitchen gardens for Woburn Abbey [R3/2264], still referred to as Froxfield Gardens in the 1890s.. 9 Froxfield was listed by English Heritage in March 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the mid or late 18th century and is built of red brick, with a chequer-work pattern in vitrified brick and has lighter red brick dressings around prominent features. The property comprises two storeys and has a 20th century clay-tiled roof. The left-hand end has been rendered and painted. A public house or alehouse stood at Froxfield in the early 19th century. It is not clear where exactly it was but it must have been somewhere near 9 Froxfield.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Froxfield Lodge [DV1/C131/1] found it owned by the Duke of Bedford’s London and Devon Estates Company and tenanted by S Phillimore “rent free”.

The property comprised a living room, a kitchen, a scullery, three bedrooms and a cellar. A barn and an earth closet stood outside. Water came from the Estate’s supply and drainage was to a cesspool.