50 and 56 High Street Roxton
50 and 56 High Street March 2010
50 and 56 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century, with early 19th century alterations. The structure is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame, with a pantiled roof and two storeys. Lean-to single storey additions lie to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of Bedfordshire, Roxton was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 50 and 56 High Street [DV1/C198/94-95] found them owned by the trustees of the late Lord of the Manor, James Bogle Delap. The Lord of the Manor may have built the cottages originally, before about 1624 this would have been one of the Lords Mordaunt, after that a member of the Delawne family, or the manorial estate may have purchased the cottages subsequently.
Number 50, then numbered 18 The Village, was occupied by J. Minney (“Not at home”). His accommodation comprised a kitchen with a bedroom above. A barn stood outside. Next door was occupied by H. Bambridge, whose wife did not know the rent. They had a kitchen and scullery and two bedrooms above, again, a weather-boarded and tiled wood barn stood outside.