1 to 3 Thurleigh Road Milton Ernest
1 to 3 Thurleigh Road February 2011
1 to 3 Thurleigh Road were formerly listed as Grade III but this category was abolished in 1970 and now the properties are unlisted. The Historic Environment Record [HER] has details of buildings, sites, landscapes and find spots of interest throughout the county. A summary is now online on the Heritage Gateway website. The description for 1 to 3 Thurleigh Road [HER 5780] states that the row of dwellings dates from the 17th century. They are built of coursed limestone rubble and comprised two storeys beneath a thatched roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 stated that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting this row found that there were, at that time, four separate dwellings [DV1/C1/105-108]. All were owned by Canon Ernest Lewin Holmes. The individual properties, all sharing a washhouse and obtaining water from a well, running south to north, were as follows:
Mrs. Mole who paid rent of £10 per annum, which had been fixed in 1922. She had a parlour, a living room, a lean-to kitchen and three bedrooms; a barn and an earth closet stood outside. She might be the Mrs Emma Mole who ran the village post office from at least 1894 to at least 1914; B. A. King paid rent of £7/16/- per year for a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. Again, a barn and an earth closet stood outside; Parrott paid £7/16/- per annum for identical accommodation to B. A. King; J. C. Woodhouse paid £6 per annum, fixed in from 1922, for a living room, a kitchen, two bedrooms, a small shed, a barn and an earth closet.