Ramsay Cottage Kempston Rural
Ramsay Cottage March 2012
Ramsay Cottage was listed by English Heritage in March 1986 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the late 17th or early 18th century and is timber-framed with colourwashed brick nogging and comprises a single storey beneath a thatched roof. The thatched porch dates from the 20th century.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C35/37-38] found that it was then divided into two and was owned by Mrs. Newland of Kempston House.
The eastern half was tenanted by R. Hebbes, an employee of Mrs. Newland’s. His accommodation comprised a living room, two bedrooms, a pantry and a kitchen, all on the ground floor. An earth closet, a barn and a washhouse all stood outside. The valuer commented: “Very old, nearly falling down”. Water came from Kempston House, a distance of about 300 yards.
The western half was in the occupation of Mrs. Hilton who paid rent of fourteen shillings per month, set in 1920. She had a living room, a front room and a bedroom all on the ground floor. A washhouse and an earth closet stood outside.