42 Green End Road Kempston Rural
42 Green End Road March 2012
42 Green End Road was listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The cottage dates from the 17th century and is timber-framed with colourwashed roughcast render, comprising a single storey with attics beneath an old clay tiled roof. The porch is 20th century. The listing notes: “much altered externally but still retains its basic original structure”.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the building found that it was then divided into two [DV1/C35/29-30]. Both halves were owned by Biggleswade brewers Wells and Winch, who also owned the nearby Shoulder of Mutton.
The eastern half of the building was occupied by W. Dickson who paid rent of £2/10/- per half year, set in 1920. Accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with two bedrooms above. An earth closet and a barn both stood outside. The valuer noted that the tenant shared the front door with the next door occupier. It was a “Very poor cottage indeed”.
The western half of the building was in the occupation of G. Smart, whose rent was five shillings cheaper per half year. Accommodation was a living room, kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms above and an earth closet outside. Smart also rented two adjoining grass fields from Wells and Winch for £10 per annum, a rent set in 1924. The two fields’ combined area was 4.069 acres.