Green Corner Elstow
Green Corner February 2012
Green Corner was listed by the former Ministry of Public Buildings and Works in July 1964 under the same listing as 205 High Street. It is Grade II – of special interest. The ministry dated the house to the 17th century. It is timber-framed with 19th century brick casing to the south gable end and roughcast render in front. It has a clay tiled roof and comprises one storey and attics.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Elstow, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting Green Corner found that it was owned by a J. J. Blundell and occupied by Oswald J. Crouch who paid rent of £14/8/- per annum which, the valuer commented, was: “very low”. Kelly’s Directory for 1928 lists Crouch as a shopkeeper. His accommodation comprised two living rooms, a kitchen, a lobby, four bedrooms, a bathroom and the shop.
Directories for Bedfordshire were published every few years. Oswald Crouch is listed as a shopkeeper in those for 1920, 1924 and 1928. In 1910 and 1914 Edward Crouch is listed as shopkeeper.
Green Corner from the south February 2012