208 to 210 Church End Elstow
208 to 210 Church End February 2012
208 to 210 Church End stand south of the church and opposite the Hillersdon Mansion. They were listed by the former Ministry of Public Building and Works in July 1964. The listing notes that they were formerly one house, built around 1600. The structure is timber-framed, with pebbledash render and a clay tile roof. It is built in an L-shape, comprising two storeys.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Elstow, like much of the county, was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the houses found that, like most of the properties in the village, the three cottages were owned by Lord of the Manor Samuel Howard Whitbread [DV1/C33/69-71]. Details of the three cottages were, north to south:
- One living room, one kitchen, two bedrooms in the occupation of George Harding whose rent was part of his wages;
- One living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms, with “Greenhouses derelict” occupied by Annie Pestell whose rent was £4/7/- per annum;
- Two living rooms, a kitchen and one bedroom (“adjoining house”) and “one bedroom on third floor” with a brick and tile washhouse and barn outside in the occupation of T. James at a rent of £9/2/- per annum.
In 1979 planning application was made to extend 208 Church End [BorBTP/79/117/LB 208]