39 and 41 Church End Biddenham
39 and 41 Church End March 2012
39 and 41 Church End are two cottages joined to one another at right angles. They were listed by English Heritage in August 1987 as Grade II, of special interest. The properties date to the late 17th or early 18th centuries.
Number 39, fronting Church Lane, is built of colour washed plaster over a timber frame. It had three rooms downstairs and comprised one storey with beds in the attics. Number 41 is of similar construction, but had two rooms downstairs. Both cottages are thatched.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottages [DV1/C123/90-91] found that they were owned, like much of the village, by the Wingfield family, Lords of the Manor of Biddenham.
Number 39 was occupied by M. Simmons who had paid rent of £5/5/- per annum since 1880. His accommodation comprised a sitting room, a living room and a kitchen with a pantry downstairs, with three bedrooms in the attics. A barn and earth closet stood outside. The valuer commented: “old but look at accommodation”. He noted that water came from a well and was also laid on. One valuer commented: “Very fair better inside than it looks” but another hand has written “Poor”.
Number 41 was occupied by Caroline Tysoe who had paid rent of £3 per annum from 1902. It contained a living room and parlour downstairs with two bedrooms in the attics. A barn and earth closet stood outside. The valuer commented: “Poor, fair garden”. Water was solely from a well which was described as “good”.
39 Church End in 1962 [Z53/15/2]