1 and 3 Gold Lane Biddenham
1 and 3 Gold Lane about 1900 [Z50/15/24]
1 and 3 Gold Lane is now one property, listed by English Heritage in August 1987, which dated the origins of the property to the 17th century. It is built of coursed limestone rubble, partly covered by colourwashed plaster and has a thatched roof. The original cottage had three rooms downstairs and comprised one storey with attics. There is a modern rear extension.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage found that it was then two dwellings [DV1/C123/112-113]. The property was owned, like many of the older properties in the village, by the Wingfield family, Lords of the Manor of Biddenham.
1 and 3 Gold Lane in 1962 [Z53/15/8]
The front of the cottage was occupied by Miss West, who paid rent of £1/12/3 per annum which dated from 1827(“!!”). The accommodation comprised a living room and a kitchen downstairs, with two bedrooms in the attics. Outside stood an earth closet and a wood house. The valuer noted: “useless to Measure, beds internal” and “Very poor”. Water came from a tap in the garden of the dwelling at the rear.
At the rear lived C. Shawley who paid £2 per annum from 1925. He had a front room (“Tiny”), a living room, a kitchen and one bedroom, with an outside earth closet and barn. Water came from a tap in the garden. The valuer summed up the building as “Very poor places”.
Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has plans submitted with applications for planning permission for alterations and improvements in 1974 [BorBTP/74/1473] and 1975 BorB/TP/75/1640].
1 and 3 Gold lane March 2012