12 to 16 Church Road Linslade
12 to 16 Church Road October 2008
12, 14 and 16 Church Road were sold by auction in 1905 [BML10/44/40]; they had belonged, with a good number of other premises, to Samuel Tavener, who had died. They were described as: "A Row of THREE BRICK-BUILT and SLATED HOUSES Situate and being Numbers 12, 14 and 16, Church Road, Linslade. Number 12 contains two Rooms on the Ground Floor, two Bedrooms over and Cellar in basement. Numbers 14 and 16 contain Entrance Passage and two Rooms on the Ground Floor, two Bedrooms over and Cellar in basement. At the rear small Gardens with Wash-house (fitted with Coppers and Sinks), and Privies. The Houses are in the occupation of Messrs H.Lines, H.Winning and J.Coultman, weekly tenants, at rents amounting to £39 per annum. …The Council Water is laid on. There is a right of way over the adjoining Yard as access to the back of the Houses. The Roller Blinds in Numbers 12 and 16, and the Gas Fittings in all are not included in the Sale".
The houses were sold to a Mr.Spiers for £430. In the 1901 census the following people are recorded at each address:
12 Church Road:John Henry Lines, 37, a railway brakeman born in banbury [Oxfordshire]; Gertrude M.Lines, wife, 27, born in Banbury; Elsie M.Lines, daughter, 3, born in Banbury; Daniel Lines, son, 1 month, born in Linslade
14 Church Road:
- George Langfield, 53, domestic groom, born in Burnham [Buckinghamshire];
- Sarah Ann Langfield, wife, 53, born in West Meon [Hampshire];
- Edith Langfield, daughter, 25, domestic nurse, born in Edwinstone [Nottinghamshire];
- Charles Butler, a boarder, 17, groom, born in Bletchingley [Surrey].
16 Church Road:
Kelly's Directory records that in 1911 Number 16 Church Road was occupied by Miss Ivy Linney, dressmaker.
- Joseph Coltman, 51, foreman porter on the railway, born in Sarratt [Hertfordshire];
- Charlotte Coltman, wife, 54, born in Guilden Morden [Cambridgeshire];
- Elizabeth Garratt, sister-in-law, 57, cook, born in Guilden Morden.