The Second Manor of Bromham
Arms of the Barony of Bedford
Volume III of The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire was published in 1912 and gives the history of manors in Bromham. The principal manor of Bromham was divided into three in 1265 when John de Beauchamp, descendent of the holder in 1086, Hugh de Beauchamp, later Baron of Bedford, was killed fighting for Simon de Montfort against King Henry III (1216-1272) at the Battle of Evesham. John's possessions were divided between his three sisters and Beatrice ihrited the portion known as the second Bromham Manor.
The arms of the Nevill family, Lords Latimer
Beatrice married Thomas Fitz Otho who died in 1274 when she married William de Monchensey. She was succeeded by her daughter from her first marriage, Maud, wife of John de Botetourt. Maud and John’s daughter married William le Latimer and was granted the manor in 1328. John de Nevill of Raby [Leicestershire], who married Latimer’s granddaughter Elizabeth, Baroness Latimer in her own right, was holding the manor at the end of the 14th century and in 1495 the lord of the manor was Richard Nevill, Lord Latimer. The Latimers continued as lords until 1577 when John Neville, Lord Latimer died leaving four daughters as co-heirs. Lucy, wife of William Cornwallis inherited Bromham Manor.
Arms of the Boteler family of Biddenham
In 1589 Cornwallis alienated the manor to William Boteler of Biddenham, with whom the Dyve family of Bromham were engaged in a bitter dispute. Boteler died in 1602 and his son Thomas conveyed the manor in trust to John Digby and others in 1612. This is the last record of the manor which may have been absorbed into the Manor of Biddenham or Newnham. This manor was acquired by the Trevor family around 1748. They already owned the Manors of Bowels, Brayes and Wakes thus uniting all the Bromham manors in one ownership, which had be viewed under the Manor of Brayes.
The arms of the Viscounts Hampden